Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Midsummer

Here in London at least, the weather seems to have pulled its socks up for the summer solstice. Apparently it's not going to last long (there's a severe weather warning in place for later tonight!) so I hope you've managed to enjoy it on this longest day. I didn't have the energy for any special celebration today, but an hour spent sitting on the grass in the park seemed like a luxury after weeks when the ground has been almost too wet to walk on. Hopefully the now-annual monsoon season* is almost over and there'll be more picnic weather in the remaining half of the light part of the year.
I feel that the solstices and equinoxes are holidays we should mark, but so far I haven't worked out quite how. If you're celebrating midsummer (or midwinter, depending on your hemisphere), I'd love to hear about it in the comments. "And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair."** Happy Solstice!

* I think the first one was 2007 - when I happened to be in Gloucestershire at just the wrong moment - and every year since has followed a similar pattern, hasn't it?
** Kahlil Gibran, 'The Prophet' (1923)

3 comments:

  1. In Sweden the celebration of mid summer carried over and survived the christening of the country. Its a pretty big deal there with dancing around flower poles and bonfires. As a Norwegian I am a tiny bit jealous! Here Chistianity took it over moved it two day to the celebration of ST,Hans on the 23rd. of June. We do bonfires but not nearly with as much zest as the Swedes.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Krisha; I'd just assumed that all you Nordic folk had big midsummer parties! By the way, I've been having trouble leaving comments on your blog lately - did you get my message about that?

      Delete
  2. Yes I thank you I did.
    i wil try to do something about it.
    Hope you are having a nice weekend.
    K

    ReplyDelete